The DC team is dedicated to becoming a beacon of hope for those in need in our community.
ALL members are asked to do the following:
1) PLEASE READ YOUR WELCOME LETTER -- The team will send you a welcome letter when you are officially registered with shimmymob.com and are listed as paid. It has everything you need to know. It will be sent to the email you registered with.
2) This is a fundraiser. Participate in these efforts as they are equally important to your willing to dance. At this time, House Of Ruth of DC does not take 'in-kind' donations of goods or services. At times, Shimmy Mob in Canada may or may not send free stuff for participating. We collectively as a team, donate these items as raffle gifts to turn into cash for our charity. The team leader, as a return courtesy for this privilege, provides a team gift to every participant. Unclaimed shirts are also used for our raffle prizes.
3) Learn your choreography from your kit. Be ready to make adjustments as it is up to the Team Leader to make it skill friendly as well as appropriate to the performance space.
4) Attend rehearsal. Rehearsal fee is divided equally among team members . You must attend ONE rehearsal or you cannot perform with the team. Our rehearsals are broken into 2 hour blocks and there will be several opportunities. You may attend as many as like. Further details when you officially register. There is a prize for perfect attendance provided by the Team Leader.
5) Ask for help if you are having issues with the choreography. The Team Leader will be available for additional one-on-one instruction or partner with a team member to practice with. We welcome all skill levels to this team.
6) Please attend/participate in as many of our fund-raising events as you can. Your presence is vital to reaching our goal. If you have one, don't forget to wear your shirt! Team members who assist the team leader at these events are provided with a thank you gift.
7) Emergency contingency:
1st - WE ARE RAIN OR SHINE. Please purchase a purse-size plain black umbrella which compacts down to 8 inches. Please also have a CLEAR rain poncho.
2nd - Our shirts are shipped from Canada. Please have ready a PLAIN black tee shirt, tank top or camisole in the event our shirts do not arrive on-time. No half tops, slinky straps.
8) Dropping Out: We are thankful for your time and talent and hope you return next year. Emergencies happen. Please contact the team leader immediately of your situation. You do not have to dance to participate -- you can still raise money for the charity and win the team prize for Top Fun-raiser or Most Team Spirit.
1) When receiving your official shirt, you may bedazzle it anyway you like provided that your decorum does not cover or hide the Shimmy Mob logo. We are NOT allowed half-shirts, holes or tears. You may adjust the neckline but not to a low-cut design. You may remove the sleeves.
2) We are allowed to wear PLAIN black yoga pants, harem or dance pants, or gypsy skirts -- no piping, designs or logos. No shorts, sweatpants which gather at the ankles, or capris.
3) Members are allowed to wear the hip scarf of their choice.
4) Any hairstyle or jewelry is allowed. Please wear your makeup slightly heavier than normal so you don't look washed out in pictures.
5) Wear comfortable tennis shoes, preferably black -- Freedom Plaza has a granite/marble surface. Ballet shoes or soft soled/no hard heel type dance shoes are okay.
6) Bring only what you need to bring the day of the performance. There is no safe place but near our photographer and there is no place to change.
CHOREO RULES from Sabeya of Shimmy Mob.com
"I have received a couple requests to clarify the rules in regards to teaching previous Shimmy Mob routines to non registered dancers.
So here it is:
As a sign of respect to the previous choreographers and previous registered dancers, it is NOT permitted to teach previous Shimmy Mob choreographies to non registered dancers. There are only 2 exceptions to this rule:
1. YOU were the official choreographer of that specific dance, in which case you would have a bit ...more flexibility. But teaching someone else's choreography without permission is simply disrespectful. Permission is not given to teach non-registered dancers.
2. The other exception would be if official permission is granted in written form from me. Typically this is granted and limited to teaching in a class setting for learning purposes only, NOT performing.
Non compliance to either one of these rules may cause you to not be allowed to join Shimmy Mob again. I hope this clarifies."